Thursday, September 22, 2011

Is it time?

Friday: July 8th. I had my weekly checkup with my midwife. I was 38 weeks 2 days. I was 1.5 cm dilated and 75% effaced. I had my sister come with me to the appointment. After talking with her, she told me some different ways to induce labor naturally. She swept my membranes and told me to get a pedicure (accupressure induces labor). She said if that didn't help to go try accupuncture. After the appointment, I was feeling pretty good, just a little bit crampy. The day came and went and Tanner and I went on our evening walk. Towards the end of my pregnancy, I insisted on speedwalking, walking up hills, walking down hills...lots of walking!

Saturday: July 9th. I woke up feeling good. By this point I was getting about 5 hours of sleep a night since about 34 weeks because I just couldn't get comfortable. Thank you, heartburn/acid reflux. We went on our morning walk and I decided to try a few of the "tips" to induce labor.
 At around noon, contractions began. Coming consistently 3-4 minutes apart and never got any closer.Some of the tips I tried?  I ate buffalo chicken pizza, general chicken, and pineapple that day. And best of all, got a pedicure! We went walking at Falls Park, which was becoming our go-to spot.
 Later on that evening, Tanner, my sister, her husband, my nephews and I all went to church. The contractions were still coming 3-4 minutes apart. Even later that evening, we went downtown with the intentions of walking around and checking out Hot Harley Nights. I wasn't feeling all that great so we never got out of the car, haha.
At about 10:30 pm I finally gave in and called the hospital. The midwife on call wasn't picking up and it took us what seemed like a long time to get a hold of her. I talked to her on the phone and she said to go ahead and come to the emergency room and we will check things out.

Sunday: July 10th. They checked me and I was 2 cm dilated and still 75% effaced. I got all hooked up to the monitors and they observed my contractions for about 20 minutes. The nurse came in and said the baby was a little "sleepy". At that point I was pretty worried. She brought me some orange juice and saltine crackers. That instantly worked and got him moving! They told me to go walk the halls for an hour, come back to my room and they would check to see if I made any progress. Well, an hour came and went at I was at the same point I was when I had left. After a 3 hour hospital stay I was sent home.
I was feeling pretty bummed. I was getting so anxious and impatiently waiting for my son to arrive. When I left the hospital, the midwife told me that since this was my first baby, I could be in the early stages for a few days or even weeks. That evening I remember texting my family and telling them that I didn't expect to have the baby anytime soon and had given up hope of meeting him within the next couple of days (I was pretty excited to get to finally see the lil guy and when I was sent home from the hospital, I was feeling discouraged.)

This mama was not-so-patiently waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment